Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting solution involves stashing and/or sharing given content on a web server handled by a web hosting provider. There are different varieties of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's review these. Doing so, you can choose what you need, based on whether you desire to run a website, email addresses, or to share files with buddies and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service provided by particular web hosts, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file storage solutions frequently involve advertisements by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a certain span of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely awry interpretation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would distribute the workload between autonomous hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting type is good if you would like to share a great amount of images with friends or acquaintances since the service is generally free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to managing your e-mails. Some suppliers provide site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video files and several hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to use as many video clips as you desire without hassling about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to run a web site. To a certain extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mail box accounts, upload videos, etc. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to get all of the abovementioned services in one single location. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are purposed for particular web content exclusively.